1. Discuss the importance of subcultures in segmenting the market for food products. Identify a particular product and show how it should be marketed differently to different ethnic groups.
2. Foxtel is marketing pay television services in Australia. What approach should it take to households where the main decision makers are:
a) Baby boomers
b) Generation X
c) Generation Y?
3. What allowance should be made for the ability of the elderly to process complex information in making product purchase decisions?
4. In view of the anticipated growth of the 50-plus market should Oil of Olay consider a new strategy for its face cream? Would it be wiser to develop a new brand, or can it successfully market the same product to the under and over 50s?
5. What kind of subcultural (ethnic, race, age and sex) segmentation would best assist the marketer with the following products and services?
A digital microphone
An MP3 player
A new alcoholic lemonade
A tourist package to Vietnam and Pakistan
A personal telephone number
6. Consider the role of nudity in advertising. Discuss how it could be made appealing or off-putting to working mothers, career women, young singles and stay-at-home housewives.