1. How did Islamic scholarship spark the Italian Renaissance?
2. Christianity spread across Europe through:
A) The recognition that the story of Christ’s miracles were true
B) Missionary work designed to convert the most powerful local people who could use their influence to convert others
C) Armies sweeping across the Byzantine Empire
D) The reputation of Jerusalem as a Holy City
3. Why did Europe wait until the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries to begin exploring the world? What elements had to occur before exploration was possible?
4. Islam spread quickly through:
A) The Word of God and the Angel Gabriel
B) Missionaries sent to ports throughout the Asian, African, and European continents
C) Ties with the conquering Islamic Empires
D) Umayyid Caliphs and their network of imams
5. Describe the similarities among global religions that experienced a reformation during the sixteenth century.
6. The primary difference between Christian-occupied and Islam-occupied Jerusalem during the Crusades was:
A) Christians created an atmosphere of peace and tolerance where multiple faiths were celebrated
B) Muslims allowed the active conversion of willing members to Christianity
C) Christians developed a system of feudalism during their occupation
D) Muslims allowed people of any faith to live there peaceably so long as they paid a tax
7. What has been the traditional role of women in society throughout history? How does the wealth of a civilization affect the lives of women?
8. The Plague helped spark the Renaissance by:
A) Creating a desperate need for wage labor, which balanced the economy of a feudal society and led to a new class of patron-supported scholars
B) Killing people from all classes, creating a need for artistic expression
C) Making the need for medical knowledge obvious, sparking the scholarly revolution
D) Passing through trading ships, which also brought ideas from abroad that inspired Leonardo da Vinci and other Renaissance thinkers
9. What is legal pluralism? Provide at least two examples and explain the role of legal pluralism in history.
10. The religion known as “Divine Faith” was:
A) The Catholic response to Protestant heresy
B) A Protestant Sect following the teachings of Zwingli
C) The Aztec adoption of Catholic ideals
D) The conglomeration of beliefs embraced at the Court of Akbar
11. How do we know about Mesoamerican cultures whose historical records do not survive? Please provide specific examples about the Chavin, Olmec, Maya, Aztec, Teotihuacan, or Inca.
12. The African Mali Empire consisted of three imperial powers, named:
A) The Songhay, Mali, and Ghana
B) The Benin, Swahili, and Jenne
C) The Battuta, Swahili, and Benin
D) The Songhay, Jenne, and Griots